WASHINGTON, March 23. – There are about 10,000 bodies of victims of violence by organized crime, including Central American and Mexican immigrants, remain unidentified in Mexico, activists claimed today before the Commission on Human Rights (IACHR).
The figure is the sum of 8800 victims, according to the Commission, were to be identified in Mexico until April 2011 and another 200 thousand were recovered between 2006 and 2011 in a total of 310 mass graves around the country, according to calculations of the Foundation for Justice and Democratic State.
This was said today before the Commission that Foundation director, Mercedes Doretti, a hearing in which several NGOs reported slowness and ineffectiveness of Mexico when it comes to search for and identify missing Central American migrants in that country as an attempt to reach the United States.
NGOs suspect that many of those missing part of the 200 thousand found in the last six years in clandestine graves.
The organization recalled that all the bodies of the slaughter of Tamaulipas August 2010, in which the bodies of 72 migrants were found in a mass grave, and recorded in the same state a year later, when were the remains of 193 people in 47 unmarked graves not yet identified.
Twelve of the migrants massacred in 2010 and about 150 of those found in 2011 “have not yet been identified,” said Doretti to reporters after the hearing, which is part of the 144th session of the Commission.
Organizations also denounced the lack of compensation to the families of the victims, who sometimes “opened the coffins to find remains of someone who was not your loved one, or even remains of human flesh,” said Rosa Nely Santos, the Committee of Relatives of Missing Migrants in El Progreso Honduras (Cofamipro).
The father of one of the missing migrants, the Mexican Candelario Castillo, told the audience that he no longer trusts Mexico’s Attorney General’s Office (PGR) to investigate the whereabouts of the missing.
Castillo spoke on behalf of the families of 21 immigrants who disappeared in March 2011 in San Luis de la Paz (Guanajuato), and those who followed the trail relatives traveling to the north.
“We do not support the Mexican government’s search. Authorities closed the doors and do not want to give us information, they simply are not looking,” he said.
Given these allegations, the Argentine Forensic Anthropology Team (EAAF) coordinated the creation last year in Honduras and El Salvador of a forensic database independent, so far has documented at least 316 cases of immigrant Salvadorans, Guatemalans and Hondurans missing on their way to America.
The organizations called on Mexico to form a committee of independent forensic experts, assisted by civil society and the IACHR and rapporteur of the UN Human Rights to monitor the process of identifying the remains, a request which was endorsed by commissioners at the hearing.
They also asked the Mexican government to create a forensic database at national and regional, with the help of international experts, to facilitate access to information on the unidentified and missing.
The representatives of Mexico in the audience recognized the “gravity” of the allegations, but denied that the Mexican state of “tolerated” and explained that “the investigation to the extent that you are aware, then legal and criminal procedure,” in words of the Secretary, Legal Affairs and Human Rights Secretary of the Interior, Max Hall Dinner.
Hall said the government and “the system is building integrated database,” for which to unify all regional and local files that are ready and will be “shared” with the families before the end of its President Felipe Calderon mandate.
As for the creation of a supervisory committee, the coordinator of legal advisers of the Deputy of the PGR, Leopoldo Velarde, considered “a little difficult to make a decision like that right now”, so that the Mexican government “takes this proposal and invited the petitioners to talk about it.
- Remains of 167 people found in Mexico cave (foxnews.com)