A photo page spread in the official news agency Xinhua Zhou showed Zhou in a pool of blood with a bullet in the head.
Zhou was one of the most wanted fugitives in China. According to the ministry, was suspected of having shot and killed several people in Chongqing and two other cities since 2004.
Zhou later shot and killed one person and injured two others Friday in a bank robbery in that city.
The ministry said Meng and Deputy Minister traveled to Chongqing, where he ordered the search and arrest of Zhou.
China bans the private possession of firearms and robberies of this kind are rare. The official media said the disappearance of the police calmed Zhou and society.
After the death of Zhou, Meng signed a document praising the police officer in Chongqing.
- China Kills 1 of Most Wanted Fugitives (abcnews.go.com)
- Chinese Police Kill One of Most Wanted Fugitives (world.time.com)
- Chinese police gun down alleged serial killer (cbsnews.com)
- Chinese police kill one of most wanted fugitives (miamiherald.com)
- Chinese police kill one of most wanted fugitives (kansascity.com)
- Chinese serial killer shot dead after massive manhunt (news.yahoo.com)